Saturday, July 30, 2011

Farmer's Markets

For those who didn't know, Central Pennsylvania is all about farming. Our town is surrounded by farms.  The corn is sooo tall right now.  Anyway, with all these farms there a lots and lots of farmers markets and farmers stands.  I love the summer time here because I can buy all my fresh produce at the markets and not at the grocery store.  Today I tried 2 new farms, and looooved everything we bought.  First we went to Hoovers.  We bought homegrown cantaloupe and honeydew:


Watermelon that was nearly the best of I have had.  It was soo good.  I really had to stop myself from eating it all in one sitting!


Then we stopped at a small little market run by an Amish family.  They just recently opened it, so I was excited to stop in and see what they had.  I bought a delicious loaf of homemade bread for $1.95


A couple dozen free range eggs.  (lots of farmers sell free range eggs just out of their houses.  There will just be a small sign out at the end of their driveway.  Its gotta be one of the weirdest experiences the first time I walked up to a door and asked to buy eggs!  That story for another time)


Homemade blackberry Jelly


Home grown tomatoes


And homemade root beer.  This was $3.95, and honestly I could care less about the root beer, I wanted the awesome Jug.  If I were to buy that jug empty at the Tai Pan it would easily be $10... anyway, I will be going back for the root beer cause I have some decorating ideas with the jugs! 


I wanted to share a little taste of Central Pennsylvania, it is such a unique place to live. I can't believe that our family is getting this amazing experience.  It is definitely not like any other place. 


Keep reading cause I just did a ton of updating of the blog!

2 comments:

sinika said...

Yum- I love a good farmer's market! Fun posts!

Melissa said...

Sounds sooo yummy!! I am so happy you guys are having such a great experience. However, don't forget how much you are missed!!