Saturday, July 30, 2011

Gettysburg


We were lucky this summer, we had both Jason's parents and my parents visit us here in Pennsylvania.  Unfortunately we were having camera difficulties when Jason's parents were here. But I did get some pictures when we visited Gettysburg with my parents..  The guy below was out playing his flute in the 95 degree weather, in full uniform.  I was feeling bad for him.... so I took a picture ;)


Me and the boys hanging with Abraham Lincoln.  Jason wasn't able to take this trip with us, he was at home writing a paper for school.


My parents with Abe... I like how Big Al has his hand on Abe's shoulder



There were lots of cannons... too many pictures to post here, pretty similar to this one


This barn was a civil war hospital.  I can't imagine that it was very clean and infection free.


A battlefield of some sort


The soldiers would find little spots like this to hide while they reloaded their guns.



It just happened to be 'Bike Week' in Gettysburg the weekend we visited.  There were bikes EVERYWHERE, it was weird to be sitting reading about some historical battle and have 20 or more LOUD Harley's go by.  Jason was super jealous when I told him.


There was a memorial for all 50 states.  Most were just a small statue, but the Pennsylvania memorial was amazing.


This is the location where Abraham Lincoln gave the famous Gettysburg Address


Gettysburg Cemetery


These small stones represented the unknown bodies from the battles of Gettysburg.  There were hundreds and hundreds.


All the bikes at the 7-11


We had a great time.  I am sure we will visit again, during our time here in PA.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

What a cool place to visit. You guys are so lucky with all the awesome places that are close to you. I love your hair, it is very cute!!

The Kohler Family said...

Cute hair Rachel! And yes...looks like a fun place to live, very green and pretty! Loved all the updates!

Eileen said...

I loved all the new pictures! So much has happened since we came out to visit! We loved Gettysburg too! We are excited to see you again really soon!