Wednesday, October 22, 2008

In Memoriam 'Ink-Ink' 2006-2008

Both of my boys have been attached to their pacifier. I really do love that they both took it so willingly as babies! I was really good with Brady and his was gone at 18 months.... Bryce on the other hand.... he is spoiled and is now 2 years old. We were already down to just naps and bed time. We did love it for going to sleep.

So Monday night Bryce grabbed his 'ink-ink' to go to sleep for the night, and promptly pulled it out of his mouth and didn't want it. After a full inspection... I discovered that all those teeth at 2 years old helped him bite a nice hole in the pacifier. So I took the opportunity to get rid of it. We did have 2 binkis but I didn't want him to remember that, so I grabbed the spare and hid it in my pocket. I told him that his ink-ink was broken and that he needed to throw it away. He thought this was a great since he loves to throw things away (all things, not just garbage). Seemed easy enough. Until it was time to actually go to bed. Finally 2 hours later after much crying and consoling (not sure who was doing which) he finally fell asleep. Then bright and early at 5:45 the next morning he woke up for the day. Followed by no nap (just 2 hours of playing with his toys in his room). He did crash quickly that night at bed time, but then woke up crying at 10:00 pm and 1:00 am. Tonight Jason put Bryce to bed and he went down fine... as of 11pm tonight he is still asleep! I hope that he is over it... but I doubt it! How long before they forget?!

Side note... Jason was almost as bad as Bryce, he kept saying 'just give it to him', 'he is so little', and 'I think he really needs it'.

Here are a few fond memories with 'ink-ink':



9 comments:

Naoma said...

Good for you, it is hard though cutting that habit. But better sooner than later, hopefully he forgets soon!

The Kohler Family said...

I love how dads give up so easily! I hope that everything works out with(out) the ink ink!

lindsey v said...

Awww, I always have a hard time taking it away. Good luck with it all!

Elisabeth said...

Bryce is so cute! Your stronger then me, I would of given in or tried to like Jason. I remember Drew gave his up so easy at about the same age. I told him the canker sore in his mouth came from his binky, he was done with it after that. I'm sad we aren't in the same ward, looks like we've been kicked out.

sinika said...

Wow!! The big step huh? Seriously- give him a good week and he'll be a new kid. Hopefully he'll get back to napping soon too.

Dave and Steff said...

What a big boy!!! I bet it was hard to give up. I would be the one telling Dave to give it back if it was my kids he he. Hope he has a easy transition!

Julie said...

Tucker's approaching 2 1/2, and your blog just solidified my thoughts, that I'm not ready to get rid of it completely. We are down to just naps and bedtime. Yeah me!

Cyndi said...

We always took our kids to the Dollar Store and let them trade a binky for a toy. That usually made them happier about the whole thing. Good luck!

Now we have a thumb sucker. Any ideas on how to take that away?!?

Mostess Mommy said...

Rest in Peace little Ink Ink, wherever you are!
Bryce is too cute in his pictures!