Sunday, October 10, 2010

Settling in

Its so hard to find the time to update the blog.  We are really enjoying our time here in PA.  Its so beautiful and the people are so kind.  We seem to find something to do each weekend.  Our little town has what they call 'Second Friday', on the 2nd Friday of each month all the shops on main street stay open late and everyone in town walks up and down main street.  There is live music and lots of food to sample.  We always seem to make our way over to the Wilbur Chocolate factory for a sample there too!

I am starting to get lost less, well only because of the 2nd GPS we purchased so there is one in each car!  What did we do before GPS?!  Lee, the voice on my GPS, is my new best friend.  The boys now go around saying phrases like 'recalculating'.  They don't like the voices with the English accents, they say it sounds 'weird'!  Hahaha! 

We have been to the famous shopping outlets, Chocolate World (in Hershey PA), and Central Market in Lancaster(the 'oldest' farmers market in the country) recently.  So much more to explore. But school and work keep us close to home way more than we would like.  Some pictures:




Bryce's favorite spot while Brady is gone to school, playing '1 player' games!



Driving through a neighborhood not too far from our house we found this really old little cemetery, just there on the side of the road in the middle of a neighborhood.  There are little old cemeteries like this everywhere.




This is a picture of Jason's school.  It is an amazing building designed by Michael Graves.  It has tight security so I haven't been in the building yet.  But next month is the family and friends open house, so I am excited to see inside.


As you all know, we sold all our furniture when we moved, so we decided when we got here to see if we could find some cool used furniture.  We found this great yellowish couch at a used furniture store.  I actually love it and it's in great condition.  Also we found the chair below.



Jason's first day of school... he had to have the porch picture too.  Doesn't he look fancy?  Not the attire he used to wear each day to work.


Bryce started 3 year old preschool this year.  He goes to the local Lutheran church about 5 minutes from our house.  He absolutely loves it.  He insisted that we get a picture of him on the porch just like Brady and Dad on their first days!  He is growing up so much, on the drive home after his first day he was so excited to tell me everything that they did.  I realized that my baby is growing up so fast.  I feel so lucky to get to work from home and spend time with him again (when he isn't at preschool).


In front of his school


In front of the door to his classroom.  He ran right in when the door opened, didn't even look back to say goodbye.  After school he told me that 2 girls and 1 boy were crying.  I asked him if he cried, he said 'no, I knew you would come back and get me'.  Such a smarty pants.!


Just some beautiful trees on our way to Hershey for stake conference.  I just can't get enough of these trees!


Hershey... need I say more!


Chocolate World!


The boys had a great time.  It's free to go on the tour.  But everything else there is sooo expensive.  Just like an amusement park. Lunch was outrageously priced and super gross.  The souvenirs and candy that is for sale is so expensive, it was crazy to watch these people load up on bags of Hershey kisses.  I wanted to ask them if they remembered that they can buy this same candy at the grocery store for 1/2 the price?! 


The Hershey Theater where we had Stake conference. ... such a beautiful theater, reminded me of Capitol Theater in SLC, but bigger.  It was different having Stake Conference in a theater like that.



We miss our family and friends so much. I sat in General Women's conference by myself, feeling sorry for myself and missing my sisters and sister-in-laws that I usually sit by at women's conference.  It's weird not having any family close by.   But I know this is where we are supposed to be, and it just takes time to meet new people.  I have already met some great girls in my ward.  I feel so blessed for the opportunities that have been given to us.  Its amazing how everything fell into place for us to make this trek here. 

11 comments:

Melissa said...

It was so fun to catch up with your family through your blog :). You all are sorely missed :(. So crazy how grown up Bryce looks. He has already changed so much. I love Jason's first day of school picture :). He looks like such a smart studious guy!! Tell everyone hello!

James Yvonne and Elise said...

It looks so pretty there. I remember when we moved to Texas, I missed my family and friends so much. As time went on it got a lot easier. Thank goodness for blogs and skype.
I'm glad this move has worked out so well for you guys!
PS I love the first day of school photos!

Prilla said...

I'm glad you guys are getting settled in and having some fun in between school and work. What a difference it is to have to drive a ways to stake conference! But what a pretty drive!

joleen said...

Sorry I missed you tonite. Hope you got my message! We didn't get together for womens conference so you didn't miss anything on the Woods side! My mom keeps saying our family dinners are "so small!" I love the pictures, Bryce is so cute!and keep the texts coming! We love you!

lindsey v said...

How often does your GPS have to say "recalculating"? Just kidding.

Did you have to drive to Hershey Saturday and Sunday to see all 4 sessions of conference? Or did you just go Sunday?

Nielson said...

I just love all of those trees! And all the old stuff too--that cemetery looks pretty spooky :) Jason's school is amazing! And your kids are getting so big! Thanks for the update :)

WOODSIE said...

HOORAH

mandi said...

Wow, it looks awesome there! Lots of fun new places to see. I LOVE old cemeteries. They are my favorite. I'm glad you guys are loving it there, although I'd rather have you here, of course. :)

I'm also feeling relieved - Oliver's favorite spot lately is in front of the TV playing the Xbox. haha Now I don't feel so guilty. Thanks Rach.

Reddishfamily5 said...

So good to see the pictures and read an update. The girls ask about you all the time. They keep asking me if I've called you. So sorry that I haven't! It looks like a beautiful place, but we are missing you too!

Bethany C. said...

Moving to a new place is fun and adventurous, isn't it? Sounds like PA is treating you well. Love the old cemetery- perfect for Halloween! Hope you are doing well. I always say moving is like having a baby. There's lots of ups and downs and time to adjust. :) Thinking of you in OUR new part of the country... :)

Oh, and I haven't been to Cal's new school yet either. Friends and family day is coming up and I'm super excited to go- without kids. Can you believe our husbands are back in school?!

Traci said...

Hey Jason and Rachel-
I found your blog through Yvonne's.
So glad you guys are liking PA. We loved it and there is soo much to do!
We are actually going to be in PA for Thanksgiving. If you guys are going to be in town and don't have an invite, you are more than welcome to join us. Brandon has 2 sisters that live in Mechanicsburg which is probably less than an hour away.
Loved catching up on your blog since you have been in PA and seeing places we have been. Love the Hershey theater too! We also used to go there for conference!
Take Care and come pop over to my blog!