Some of you may know that I am the youngest of 7 children. Which means that some of my older siblings got married and had children when I was very young. I was 2 months away from turning 9 years old when my first niece was born. I love being an aunt. Since I was an aunt for many years before I had children of my own. I got to do all the fun stuff with the nieces and nephews. I used to wrestle with the boys (there were about 8 boys pretty close in age). It was great fun, I would throw them around my parents basement and always win. Then one day... it wasn't fun anymore, I realized that the boys were getting much bigger, some almost as tall as me. I wasn't winning anymore and it was starting to hurt having 5-8 boys (depending on the day) pile on top of me. Eventually the wrestling with the boys had to stop. Aunt Rachel (which I might add, they are not allowed to call me Aunt) finally decided that the boys were too strong and I was too weak to carry on this tradition.
The boys have continued to grow, one is on a mission, another is getting ready to put in his mission papers, and the others are in junior high and high school. I can't believe how they have grown up, they are such good boys in spite of the crazy things we tried to teach them when there parents weren't around. Now they are great examples to the younger cousins. My boys and my sister's boys are the young boys now, they have a great time together just like the older ones do. Now they wrestle with the big boy cousins instead of me!
I recently found this picture of 6 of the 8 boys, this was taken just before the oldest John left for his mission in Argentina. It is just so cute, I had to post it.

(Jared, Michael, Steven, Jordan, John, & Nathan. Not in picture: Porter & Colton)
5 comments:
I totally know what you mean... I was the youngest of eleven and was eight when my first nephew was born! Now one of them is 6'5! They sure grow up fast. Your nephews are sure cute!!
I'm sure you'll always be their favorite auntie!!!
Your nephews are really cute. I am sure they love having a fun aunt like you!
Oh, I bet you were the funnest aunt--I don't get to wrestle any nephews, but my little brothers...well, I can still take them... (well, kinda...)
Auntie Rachel!!
I'm totally the same way-2 months before I turned 9, crazy, huh? I won't let them call me Aunt either. It seems too weird when they're actually closer to me in age to me than their parents were to me.
Post a Comment